Wednesday 2 December 2015

Bloom event - Oncidium katrin zoch

Oncidium Katrin Zoch is one of those orchids that I just can't quite understand. It grows (after a fashion). It blooms. And repeat. It just never seems to really grow well or reach the proportions you see them at in garden centres. I'd love to know how those Dutch growers do it (this and several other genera I can't grow for toffee). Having said that, this plant has done well recently, and beggars can't be choosers, can they? It has produced probably 20 flowers on a branched spike, and has put on an attractive show. It is originally one of Ray Creek's infamous plug plants, and I have had it a few years now. Sadly it doesn't seem one for 'clumping up' (producing more than one lead), although it often produces more than one spike per pseudobulb, though never at the same time. It is definitely a keeper though, as it has the most amazing scent, sort of like white chocolate with a bit of vanilla. And its a pretty colour. I shouldn't whinge so much about it really, should I?

11 comments:

  1. Well worth looking at..and a scent, and presumably no pollen causing problems for people with allergies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Got it in one. I just wish it had a bit more vigour. There are only ever leaves on the leading growth which makes the plant look half dead even though it is perfectly healthy. I really should be a bit more careful about removing the papery leaf sheaths from around the (still green) pseudobulbs. Sigh.The scent is to die for, though.

      Delete
    2. I bought this reduced in a DIY and its sulked ever since ! can you tell me what media you grow it in ?

      Delete
    3. Hi Tina, I grow it in medium bark chips and it does OK. On thinking about it, it might be a smidge too warm, really. If it doesn't perform for you, I wouldn't take it too personally. There must be a reason we don't see many well grown specimens of it around, after all!

      Delete
    4. I read somewhere it likes to be kept cool and on the moist side .I have added spag to the bark chips and hopefully it will start doing better .I just love the smell of it :)..Has this got miltonia in its parentage?

      Delete
    5. no -no Miltonia at all; pure oncidium hybrid

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    That rather depends on who you ask. I believe it always used to be known as Miltonidium, but there has been a lot of renaming and general messing around with the Oncidium alliance as a whole, and I think this one has a parent that used to be part of genus Miltonia (schroderae, as I recall, or something similar), but is now part of Oncidium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its parentage is Oncidium schroederianum x Oncidium sotoanum. Check it out on orchid roots bluenanta.

      Delete
  3. Just an update ...after repotting in bark and spag it has slowly started to do better .It is growing a flower spike and a new growth .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine grows really well in bark and sphagnum. if you want a clump, why not split the plant and pot all pieces up together? It's a vigorous plant so should produce multiple spikes for you in no time.

      Delete